Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Candy Cane Cookie

Certainly you'll remember these, BadgerCook, right? I don't know quite what the appeal is but I always adored these as a child.

The kids and I whipped up a batch last week and they still hold the same appeal.

The recipe entered our family in the winter of 1972 when my mom's cousin sent her the recipe on an index card. Both the letter accompanying the recipe and the recipe still exist, both in the original author's hand.

They're not overly peppermint-y (an important fact in our house) and the assembly is very kid-friendly.

Candy Cane Cookies

sift together:
3 1/4 c. flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

beat together:
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract

1/4 c. milk (stir in alternately with flour mixture)

Spoon half into small bowl. Color half of dough pink with red food coloring. Pinch off about a teaspoon of dough; roll into pencil thin strips 5" long. Twist strips together, pinching ends.

Place on ungreased cookie sheet shaping like candy canes. Bake 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until firm. Cool slightly and remove to wire rack.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes - I love those cookies and they are remarkably easy to make given how great they look when they are baked - very festive!

I need to start baking NOW. Once I get started I will be okay. Today is the day I will review the recipe collection for the 2006 Christmas cookie assortment.

My friend Elaine schedules a "bake a thon" with a friend and her daughter every year. She just held it last weekend and baked 8 different kinds of cookies.

We could think about reinstating our short-lived cookie exchange now that Baker Babe is part of the blog. She does love to bake, after all. . .