Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Beef Stew

Perfect for a chilly Wisconsin fall or winter evening. Fantastically easy, lingers in the oven for tardy company with ease and tastes delicious.

3 pounds beef stew meat (or beef chuck cut into stew size chunks)
1/3 cup tomato paste
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 pound (about 2) medium onions, cut into small chunks
1 pound (about 6) small new red potatoes, halved if necessary
1 pound carrots, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
6 garlic cloves, smashed
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350. In 5-quart Dutch oven combine beef, tomato paste, vinegar, flour and salt and pepper. Add onions, potatoes, carrots, garlic, bay leaves and 3 cups water. Bring to boil. Cover, transfer to oven and cook until meat is tender (at least 2 hours). Remove bay leaves and adjust salt and pepper, if necessary.

Serves six.

I usually serve a tossed green salad and fresh bread alongside the stew.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did it - I figured out how to join the blog. How fun! Now I have to dig out all my favorite recipes (I have many, thank goodness many are saved on my computer).

This recipe looks great - I LOVE anything made with balsamic vinegar. Can't wait to try it.